Lindau (24,000 inhabitants) is one of the most renowned holiday resorts in Germany for its particular position: it is in fact situated on an island on Lake Constance (Bodensee), connected to the mainland by two bridges and on the border between Germany, Austria and Switzerland. The lake has two other islands, but they are not part of Bavaria: Mainau, owned by a branch of the Bernadotte family (the royal house of Sweden) and known for its beautiful gardens and flowers, and Reichenau, recognized by UNESCO heritage of humanity, where there is an ancient Benedictine abbey.
The heart of the town is the Marktplatz, which overlooks the Catholic church "Unserer Lieben Frau" dedicated to the Madonna and the Protestant church of St. Stephan. Also in the square, admire the patrician house Haus zum Cavazzen which has housed since 1929 the museum of local history and art. Another church worthy of note is the Peterskirche, dating back to the year 1000 and among the oldest religious buildings of Lake Constance. Inside the pictorial cycle dedicated to the Passion of Christ (1480), by Hans Holbein the Elder. Next to the church stands the fourteenth-century Diebsturm.
The main street is the Maximilianstraße: a series of 16th century houses with colorful colors, elegant shops and the 15th-century Old Town Hall (Alte Rathaus) flanked by the Baroque-style New (Neue Rathaus).
In past centuries Lindau was one of the main ports of Bavaria. Witnesses to the ancient glory are the Mangturm which served as a lighthouse and the imposing stone lion, symbol of Bavarian strength and pride.
Today, as well as a tourist destination, it is famous for the annual meetings-conferences of Nobel Prize winners for an audience of talented students and graduates from universities all over the world. Here the program. You can not miss a boat trip and a tasty stop in the restaurants that crowd the alleys of the old city. Recommended addresses include the Gasthof Alte Post (Fischergasse 3) and Wissingers im Schlechterbräu (In der Grub 28).